Monday, November 7, 2011

Chocolate-Caramel-Bacon Bark SRC



It's the Secret Recipe Club reveal today! And as I perusing my assigned blog, Cheap Ethnic Eatz, I ran across a post entitled "Bacon Chocolate Bar". 

I knew I was done looking. 

Well not done looking, I don't think I will ever been done looking, she has tons of great looking recipes and is adding more, maybe even working on a cookbook, but I knew I had found my test recipe. I had to make two changes though. I wanted to add caramel, and I wanted the bacon to show, so that people who might not be appreciative of the flavor combination would not touch my candy.

I used dark chocolate in this recipe but I think milk would be really good too, and since the chocolate flavor isnt as strong as with dark the bacon would stand out more. With the caramel sauce you want one that is thick at room temperature so it doesn't run out of the candy when you cut it.

This was my first time baking bacon, and it turned out perfect. I just put it on a metal tray and baked at 400 for 10 - 15 minutes until crispy and then drain on a paper towel.

1 bag chocolate chips
2 - 3 Tbsp. caramel sauce
6 strips bacon, cooked until crispy and then crumbled

Melt the chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler. If using the microwave, only melt until most of the chips are soft and stir to melt the rest of the chocolate.

Spread half of the chocolate on wax paper into a 6 to 8 inch circle. Drizzle with the caramel sauce and stick in the freezer until the chocolate is set and the caramel is thick, about 15 minutes. I actually did that while cooking the bacon. 

When the chocolate and caramel are firm, spread the remaining chocolate on top and sprinkle with the crumbled bacon. Return to the freezer for about 15 minutes.

Remove and chop off pieces as you want to eat them, the caramel gets soft and runs out if you cut it all at once. This is good for about 2 days afterwards due to the bacon getting soggy if you leave it. 

But why would it last that long?






9 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post for SRC!!! I am loving bacon in anything these days!

    Check out my SRC post if you haven't already:

    Simple Butter Cake with Peach Sauce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bacon and chocolate rocks!! Great SRC choice.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bacon and chocolate is wonderful and more people need to try it. This is a terrific way to combine them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks amazing! I am so in love with the combo of chocolate and bacon...delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha wow seems like it was so long ago I made this, great choice and I love the caramel addition! May have to do it your way soon! Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't even want to know how many calories would be in a bite of that amazing treat. Even though it only has three ingredients, they are wonderful!!

    I am taking over the Improv Challenge since Sheryl disappeared so suddenly. I see that you were signed up to join in and wanted to invite you to continue with us. Please send me an email: fruglantics(at)yahoo(dot)com if you are interested in this. Hope to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a combo I would have thought of but I know it is becoming more popular. It DOES look good. And with the caramel.....

    ReplyDelete