Monday, December 5, 2011

SRC Gingerbread Cake



It's Secret Recipe Club Time again! This month I was awarded "The Novice Housewife" to peruse and test. The only problem I had with her blog was narrowing it down to ONE recipe. So while I may have only posted one, you can be sure there are several others bookmarked to be made later. 

Gingerbread cake seemed perfect for this time of year, though I did have to make a few changes to make it more kid friendly. And I used my vitamix on the wet ingredients so I wouldn't have to chop the ginger myself, being very fibrous I find it a time consuming step. If making without one, chop the ginger finely and mix the wet ingredients in a mixer or large bowl.

Next time I am adding chopped apple to the batter

Wet ingredients
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 c. sour cream (she calls for plain yogurt)
3/4 c. dark brown sugar
1 c. unsweetened applesauce (should have been 1/2 c. and I read it wrong)
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg
1 inch chunk of ginger, cut up a bit
1 tsp vanilla extract

Blend all on high until the ginger is chopped but not enough to cook the egg

Dry ingredients
2 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. allspice
dash black pepper
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. ground ginger

Stir together the dry ingredients in a bowl to mix. Mix in the wet ingredients and pour into a greased bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 70 minutes, I had to bake it longer due to the extra applesauce, her directions say 35 - 40 minutes, but the texture was perfect, it was super moist. 








5 comments:

  1. Mmm, this is my kind of cake. I love gingerbread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum. Gingerbread cake sounds perfect on a cold day like today! And it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gingerbread and will always gravitate toward it when I see it on a menu or for sale. I just made up a recipe using olive oil and it came out amazing. The combination of flavors just can't be beat, can they! Wonderful selection for SRC!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect cake for the season! And a perfect choice for the SRC. I pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for trying this recipe out and am glad you liked it! The cake looks great! Chopped apple sounds like a great addition to this cake.

    ReplyDelete