Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Bacon Blue Cheese Deviled Eggs



These are by far the best deviled eggs I have ever eaten. I kind of love them. A lot. I like regular deviled eggs too, but they aren't something I think of making all that often. Mostly Easter or when I am making snacky foods. These though I have made two days in a row and can't wait for an excuse to make again and share them with other people. It also got me thinking of other flavor combinations that I might like. I think next I am going to try sauteed jalapenos, bacon, and manchego cheese. 

But I'm getting a little ahead of myself here, I need to tell what these are first. 

I'll start with the eggs themselves. So I boil them a little funny, i read somewhere a long time ago and I can't remember where to give credit a way to boil them so the yolk doesn't get that gray ring around it. Anyway, put the in a bot of barely simmering water and bring to a boil. Boil them for 5 minutes and remove them from the heat. Cover and let them stand like that for 10 minutes and chill until ready to use. 

Once you are ready to use them I smashed the blue cheese with the mayo. Not to a perfect blended consistency. You want some cheese chunks in there. Then season them with Nature Seasons. Mix in the cooled yolk, sliced green onion, and crisp bacon. Then just squeeze it back in to the egg like normal. The first day I didn't actually garnish them just to eat. When I decided I wanted to take a picture though and share them I made the eggs all pretty.

For the bacon I like the bacon that is pre-cooked and bagged for salad. I do crisp it slightly in a non stick pan. It has the same flavor and it stays crisper, it doesn't get soggy. Just make sure and use real bacon bits, not bacon flavored bits. That would be nasty.

I think for amounts I use about a heaping teaspoon amount of blue cheese for 3 eggs, One green onion, sliced for 3 eggs, and about a tablespoon of bacon for 3 eggs. For a dozen eggs that works out to 4 green onions, a quarter cup of bacon bits, and a golf ball sized chunk of cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment