Sunday, August 20, 2017

Tomato Zucchini Bisque



I hated tomato soup growing up. The idea of tomato soup with grilled cheese just ruined the grilled cheese for me. I was in college and just starting out really cooking new things when my older sister mentioned homemade tomato soup is actually pretty good.  I ignored her for years until last winter I moved and had a really limited kitchen and decided to try it. I made a tomato soup with fresh basil and a scoop of rice on top. Turns out it was actually pretty good. Since then I have tried a few different versions, this being my latest concoction.

4 Tbsp butter
1 large onion
2 Tbsp flour
2 cans tomatoes
4 c. chicken stock
black pepper
4 oz. Parmesan cheese
3/4 c. heavy cream
2 zucchini, grated

Melt the butter in a large pot and add the chopped onion. Saute until the onion is tender.

Stir in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes so the flour doesn't taste raw. Once it's been cooked a little add the tomatoes. If you have crushed tomatoes great. If not, crush them one by one in your hands as you add them. It's actually one of my favorite parts.  Cook and stir for about 3 minutes before moving on.

Add the chicken stock. Simmer the soup over low for about 45 minutes. Stir the bottom frequently as it tends to stick.

Add the cheese, cream, and zucchini. Simmer for another 20 minutes, stirring often. Taste for salt and add as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment