Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Dads Enchiladas

Enchiladas as baked from frozen


I like to make these in bulk. The main body of the work (and mess) is cooking the hamburger and then filling the tortillas. At that point it is just as easy to cook and fill a 100 as it is 10. So I cook 4 lb of meat and use disposable pans to freeze them in for later. That way once you clean up the mess you are left with dinner for several nights, and next time you want enchiladas you wont have any mess at all. 

If you like more spice, I like to add a 4 oz. can of chopped chilies and jalapenos to the onions. The type of cheese is also optional. I usually use cheddar but pepperjack or monetary are great, and even mozzarella tastes really good. Feel free to replace the hamburger with cooked shredded chicken.

1 large can refried beans 
(I usually add some salsa verde to my refried beans and 
simmer a few seconds for more flavor, but straight out of the 
can works great too, I prefer the zesty ones.)
1 lb. ground beef
2 Tbsp. tacos seasoning
2 - 3 c. Grated cheese
1 onion, chopped
12 flour tortillas
2 (15 oz.) cans red enchilada sauce

Sour Cream
Salsa

Combine taco powder and beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain grease. 

Thinly slice the onions and cook in a hot, ungreased, pan, stirring occasionally until translucent and browned in spots. 

Spread tortilla with beans. Top with hamburger, onions, and then cheese. Roll tortilla and place seam side down in a 9x13 casserole. Repeat with remaining tortillas. You will have to push them to the side to fit them all in. Top all with enchilada sauce and additional cheese, if desired. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Serve with sour cream and salsa

To freeze: I just make 4 times as much, 4 cans of beans, 4 lb. ground beef, etc... Top with the enchilada sauce, cover the top of the pan with tin foil and drop in the freezer. I also like to freeze them in 8x8 inch pans instead of 9x13. That way one is enough for dinner or if I am having more people I just cook 2 pans. I have found that I like the pans from Wal-mart better than the dollar store, the sides are deeper and I can squish more tortillas in.
To eat: Leave the tin foil on the top and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, remove the tin foil and continue baking for 45 minutes or until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment