Sunday, September 18, 2011

HH6 And Taco Soup

So this soup isn't really my recipe at all. I mean I make it all the time, but I didn't come up with it.

But when I got this months HH6 Cooking Club challenge and was thinking about it, this came to mind. The challenge itself I wasn't worried about sticking too, I usually keep a large pantry pretty well stocked, along with a large deep freeze full of meat and other frozen stuff, and a 2 year supply of all the basics, wheat, rice, sugar and such, plus Husband Man had just gotten back from Sams club. I was set. 

But then the next night I found myself needing to make something for dinner. And while I had all the essential, I didn't really feel like making a huge dinner. So I grabbed several things from the pantry and dinner was ready in a flash, using mostly pantry staples.Which really embodies the idea of the challenge. Which is

We all need to be prepared in the event of a disaster.  You have stuff in your pantry and fridge/freezer.  If a disaster should strike today and you have no access to going to a grocery store but your stove/grill is still working, what would you make with what you have on hand?


 


1 lb. ground turkey or hamburger
1 packet taco seasoning (About 2 Tbsp)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney or black beans
1 can chicken broth
1 c. Ketchup

Brown meat.

Add remaining ingredients. Simmer one hour or longer. Can be dumped in a crock pot for the afternoon.

This can also be made without the meat all together, just skip it and add an extra can of beans.


The next day I drained the soup and cooked rice in the liquid. Then I added it back to the mix, added some cheese, and used it as a filling for enchiladas. Just fill tortillas with the mix, roll and place in a casserole dish, top with enchilada sauce and bake until heated through. 

6 comments:

  1. I love taco sou! I especially love what you do with the leftovers, I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really tried Taco Soup. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Now I have something to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good. I bet you can also cook this in the crock pot to really let the flavors develop. I am going to try it sometime this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made Taco Soup before, but that sounds delicious! I'll be adding it to my list of things to try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good - I love being able to throw a few pantry ingredients together to come up with a great dinner.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for the comments and praise. It was fun to make and I enjoyed everyone elses HH6 posts as well. I can;t wait for next months.

    ReplyDelete