Monday, September 12, 2011

Pecan Crusted Chicken - SRC



So this in only my second month in the Secret Recipe Club. For those of you who missed it last month, I am assigned a blog, and I get to pick any recipe from said blog. I then make the recipe and blog about it myself. Someone returns the favor and I get to see which of my recipes was enjoyed by someone else.

So I was given the blog "Everyday Mom".  One recipe really stood out to me a lot, the Pecan Crusted Chicken. Usually when I try out new recipes I don't stick exactly to the recipe, I tweak it a bit. But this was something I hadn't ever tried before, and I wanted to try it exactly as she meant it to be.

Next time I make it though I am going to make a few small changes. I am going to add a lot more mustard to the egg mix and use 4 shallots instead of the just the one. I still can't decide my stance on the lemon zest, I loved it! But it also felt a little out of place at the same time. It was juicy and tender and I liked it. I also only used 2 chicken breasts here, because I always cut mine in half lengthwise first, that change made it so I only needed 2 eggs. I'm also toying with the idea of making something with a bacon crust...

I served it with Packard Potatoes, and buttered peas. 

Pecan Crusted Chicken

4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 c. Roughly chopped pecans
4 Tbs. Butter
1 Shallot, minced
1 c. Panko
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp. minced fresh thyme leaves
1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
3 Eggs
3 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. Ground black pepper
1 tsp. Seasoned Salt
1 c. All-purpose flour

"Using a fork to prick chicken several times then sprinkle with salt.  Place on wire rack set over baking sheet, refrigerate while preparing coating.

In a food processor, chop nuts until they resemble a coarse meal.  Over medium heat, melt butter, swirling pan constantly until butter is golden brown.  Add shallot and a pinch of kosher salt.  Cook shallots until light brown, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat, add Panko and nuts.  Stirring frequently cook until golden brown about 10-12 minutes.  Transfer mixture to shallow dish or coating plate.  Add lemon zest, thyme and cayenne, stir to combine.   

In second shallow dish beat eggs, mustard and black pepper. 

 In third shallow dish mix together flour and seasoned salt.

Remove chicken from refrigerator, pat dry with a paper towel.  Working with 1 piece at a time, dredge chicken in flour, then egg mixture,  allow extra to drip off.  Coat each side of chicken in panko nut mixture, pressing gently so crumbs adhere.  Transfer coated chicken to wire rack, set in baking sheet.  Repeat until all chicken is coated.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until thickest part of the chicken reads 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
"

Her recipe for Apple Rice Krispies also stood out to me, I will be trying it out this week and then let you know how it turns out later. And for Halloween I want to make some orange pumpkin ones as well.

And this recipe for hash was a close second for being my test recipe. 




5 comments:

  1. Your chicken sounds wonderful and I love the combination of spices and flavors.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that this is a baked chicken dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really delicious! I bet the pecans add great flavor and crunch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I love pecan-crusted chicken! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pecan crusted chicken, and even occasionally add into some chicken breadings just because I love the flavor it imparts. Yours looks delicious, and those apple rice krispie sound pretty amazing too! Will have to check it out :) Great choice of dishes!

    ReplyDelete