Friday, July 15, 2011

Confit Byaldi aka Ratatouille




For something so simply seasoned, this has an excellent flavor. I just happened to have the sundried tomatoes in my fridge, but if you don't have them don't worry about it. Just add a tablespoon of olive oil or butter to the tomato sauce before baking.

I started my recipe by looking at Smitten Kitchens version, she uses the red pepper instead of tomatoes, then I made a few changes of my own. For another tasty looking twist check out her Ratatouille Tart.


1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes, drained really well
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
3 sundried tomatoes packed in oil and herbs,
plus about 1 Tbsp of the oil they are packed in
1/4 tsp dried thyme

I added the diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, sundried tomatoes, and the oil from the tomatoes to a food processor and processed until smooth. Stir that into the tomato sauce and add the thyme.

Pour into the bottom of two 9x9 inch casserole dishes

2 large zucchini
2 large yellow squash
1 large bell pepper
2 thin eggplants

Slice all the vegetables thin and layer over the tomato layer alternating vegetables. I only placed a bell pepper slice every few layers. My eggplant was a lot bigger around than my zucchini and squash so I cut the slices in half and put the cut side down, so the rounded purple outside shows.

1/4 c. olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
I used a spray bottle and misted the top of the vegetables.
Sprinkle with
salt
a dash of freshly cracked black pepper
and a little bit of dried thyme

Cover with parchment paper and bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until the vegetables look tender and the sauce is bubbling up around the vegetables. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment