Saturday, September 4, 2010

Quinoa

Quinoa is such an awesome little seed that is usually confused with a grain (and it's Kosher). It works sweet or savory and I have my Mom to thank for introducing me to it.

And I have the WHO to thank for giving me this quote

"Quinoa has excellent reserves of protein, and unlike other grains, is not missing the amino acid lysine, so the protein is more complete (a trait it shares with other "non-true" grains such as buckwheat and amaranth)"



(I never ever bother to rinse mine first)


It's works great as a breakfast cereal both in the morning and as a late night snack. Just add a pinch (read large handful) of brown sugar and milk (or heavy cream, whichever you prefer). Even 101cookbooks and Martha Stewart agree with me.


It's also tasty savory. I use it in place of rice for stir fry or in soup, throw some cooked cooled into bread. I also mix it, cooked, into ground hamburger to stretch it further, just mix it into the meat and then cook it like normal until no longer pink. But my very favorite thing to do with it is pilaf

I make this when I have leftover cooked grains on hand. The reason for using the grains cold is then they absorb the broth better thus becoming more tasty. I like to eat it with a salad or green vegetable and fruit on the side for dinner and then the next day rolled in tortillas with chopped tomatoes and maybe a little bit of cheese. This is also really good if you add several handfuls of chopped spinach in right after you saute the vegetables. Garbanzo beans can be used in place of the white beans. Or if you aren't a fan of beans and lentils skip them all together and serve along side grilled chicken

Mixed Grain Pilaf

1/2 medium onion, chopped really fine
1 stalk celery, chopped really fine
1 carrot, grated really fine
1 clove garlic, minced
4 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
1 c. broth, chicken or vegetable
1 tsp. rosemary
1 c. cooked rice, cold
1 c. cooked quinoa, cold
1/2 c. cooked barley, cold
1-2 c. cooked lentils, cold
1/2-1 c. cooked white beans

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and rosemary and saute until onion and celery are tender. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until broth is absorbed and everything is heated through.

My other quinoa recipes can be found on my other blog

These web sites give awesome information on the nutritional value and history of quinoa

http://www.quinoa.net/106.html

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=142&tname=foodspice

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/10352/2

http://www.wholehealthmd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment