Sunday, September 5, 2010

Very Tasty Vegetarian Entree

I just made this again tonight for a ward pot-luck tomorrow. I used half quinoa and half brown rice, both of which I cooked in Edward and Sons vegan chicken flavored bouillon. Regular chicken bouillon would be fine, I just was trying to get rid of the other so I didn't have it in my cabinet taking up space.

And a special disclaimer for anyone who might be curious.
No, I am not a vegetarian, I just like beans.


4 Tbsp. butter
2 large onions, cut in half from the root and sliced
large pinch sugar
1 can corn
1 large carrot, grated
1 can black beans
1 can jalapenos
1 bunch green onions, sliced
3 c. cook quinoa
Mortons Nature Seasons o taste

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onions and saute until tender. Then add the sugar to the pan and let the onions brown a bit further. Heat, stirring occasionally until the onions are caramelized. Add the corn and let that caramelize a bit too. Then add the carrot, jalapenos, black beans. Heat through. Add the quinoa and sliced green onions and toss to coat. Taste and sprinkle with nature seasons to taste.

It's also great the next day as soup. Just boil some broth, chicken, vegetable or beef all work great for this, and add the quinoa black bean mix. Simmer until hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment