Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Peach Kuchen


This has a crumbly shortbread crust, a warm peach filling, and is topped with a baked custard. Well worth the annoyance of working with cold butter.

After I made this I was thinking it would be great with a tropical twist. I would add some lime zest to the crust, replace the mangoes with peaches, and use come coconut milk in place of some of the sour cream, maybe even a little coconut extract in there too.

Crust
3 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

3 sticks of butter


Combine all the dry ingredients and cut in the cold butter until the dough becomes crumbly. I actually freeze my butter and grate it in. I then stir it a little to coat the butter with the flour mix and the then squish it a bit with my hands.

Top that layer with either
1 dozen ripe peaches, skins removed and sliced thin
OR 2 (29 oz) cans of sliced peaches
1/2 c. sugar

1 Tbsp cinnamon


Bake at 400 for 20 minutes

For the custard combine
3 c. sour cream
2 eggs

1 Tbsp. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract


Pour on top of the peach layer, sprinkle with another
1/4 c. sugar
1 Tbsp Cinnamon


And bake at 400 for another 30 minutes or until the top looks puffed and set.

Let cool for 20 minutes before cutting and enjoy warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment