Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tandoori Chicken






This is great served with riata, a yogurt cucumber sauce similar to tzatziki sauce, and actually what I use.  This is fun to serve as an appetizer, after the chicken is cooked, just cut it into thin 1 inch squares and top with a dollop of sauce, stick a toothpick in the middle and serve on a tray.

4 large chicken breasts
Lemon Juice, About 2 Tablespoons
1 c. plain yogurt (all I had around was sour cream so I used that)
Red food Dye (optional)

6 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. cumin
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground ginger (fresh would be better, I didn't have any)
2 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. paprika (make sure it's a nice vibrant red color)
1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Pinch Cayenne (I like about 1/4 tsp. to make it spicy)
Pinch Cloves

I removed the fat from the chicken breasts so that only meat was remaining. Then I just the chicken in half lenght-wise and then in half again through the middle.

Rub the chicken with lemon juice. Mix the spices and rub the meat with the mix. Combine the yogurt (or sour cream) with red food dye until it is bright pink. Add to the meat and spices and make sure each piece of chicken is completely coated.

Marinate for 2 - 12 hours.

Turn oven on to broil and move a rack to the highest spot in the oven. Place the chicken on a wire rack or a roasting pan.  Broil from 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.

I served mine over a qunioa pilaf but rice or couscous would also be good.







No comments:

Post a Comment