Sunday, August 7, 2011

Persian Pomegranate Chicken


Quite a few years ago I went with my dad to the Philippines. Somewhere on that trip, I can't remember exactly which stop on the way, we ate at a Persian restaurant in a mall. A little small place, but that is one of my favorite memories of that trip and with my dad in general.

Fast forward several years, my husband was showing me around the Old Market near where he grew up and we planned on having lunch at the Persian restaurant. We had been looking forward to it for weeks, checking the menu online beforehand and such and I had decided on the pomegranate chicken.

The restaurant was closed.

It wasn't a total loss though, we found a very nice Indian place a few doors down. But still, I was curious about pomegranate chicken. Since Savannah seems to be limited to seafood and Thai places (not entirely a bad thing) and I like to cook I decided to make my own.

And last but not least I happened to have a bottle of fake grape juice sitting on the counter from something else so at the end when I decided it needed a little sweetener thats what I added. I think a tiny drizzle, probably a scant teaspoon of honey would do as well.


1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts

1/2 c. cornstarch

1 tsp salt

Oil


1/8 tsp. chili powder

1/8 tsp. yellow mustard

1/8 tsp. cumin

1/8 tsp. turmeric

1/8 tsp. paprika

Dash cloves

Dash freshly cracked black pepper


16 oz. bottle 100% pomegranate juice

1 large onion

3 Tbsp olive oil

1 Tbsp brown sugar

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 Tbsp grape juice cocktail

Cut the onion in half and slice, not too thin, and then cut in half again. Saute in olive oil until the onion is translucent. Add the brown sugar and continue to cook until the onion is starting to turn golden. Add the garlic and saute just until fragrant.

Add the pomegranate juice and simmer on low. Add the chili, mustard, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cloves, and pepper. Keep simmering until the liquid is reduced by about half.

Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. Combine the cornstarch and salt and toss with the chicken. Cook in oil until starting to brown and the chicken is cooked though.

Add the chicken and grape juice to the pan and mix in really well. Simmer an addition 10 minutes and serve over rice or quinoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment