Monday, August 15, 2011

Spicy Asian Noodles with Chicken


I joined the "Secret Recipe Club", you can see the link on my sidebar. It's a really cool idea. Basically a bunch of food bloggers get together and everyone is given a blog. Then from that blog you pick any one of the recipes that looks good to you and you make the dish and then post on your assigned reveal date.

I was given the blog "Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts", while looking through her archives there were two that really stood out to me. I have been looking for some good, simple Asian inspired dishes as of late and been having fun working with rise noodles so thats what I ended up going with. You can see her post here. She links back to Cooking light, and I think if I had seen it in the magazine I would have ignored it completely, but because another blogger made it, ie. a real person, I couldn't wait to try it. I'm like that with food.

I have to say I was very impressed with how simple it was to make and yet how great it tasted. The other recipe that stood out to me, and I still plan on trying eventually is her "Lemon Turkey Cutlets"

I did make a few changes. I added the egg, zucchini, and carrot cause I love eggs in Asian noddle and wanted to add some color and variety with the vegetables. I also didnt have any precooked chicken so I decided to just make that one of the step and lastly I think I might have changed a few of the amounts on things.

Any leftover meat would work here though, just heat up in the sesame oil and continue with the recipe. Leftover beeg, chicken or pork would all fit, and my 6 year old said shrimp would be perfect in here too.


1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 (6.75 oz) pkg. rice stick noodles
2 Tbsp sesame oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large chunk fresh ginger, minced (about 1 Tbsp)
7 or 8 green onions, rends removed and sliced all the way up the green part
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 c. low sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
3 Tbsp hoisen sauce
1 Tbsp. sambal oelek
(chili paste, use more or less depending on the heat level you want,
but make sure you at least add some)

1 egg
1 carrot, grated
1 small zucchini, quartered lenghtwise and sliced
Sunflower seeds or chopped peanuts

Prepare the rice noodles according to the package directions. Mine said soak in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain then when they are still just a tiny bit firm, they finish cooking in the liquid from the pan.

Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces. Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet and add the chicken, stirring until the chicken is cooked through and starting to brown. Add the zucchini and saute 2 minutes more.

Add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, between 30 seconds to a minute. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, hoisen, and sambal oelek and stir very well to combine.

Stir in the carrot, and onions and stir fry for another minute. Tilt the pan a little and push everything, including the sauce to the bottom. Crack the egg in the pan and let it cook, breaking the yolk after a few minutes, until the egg is completely cooked.

Add the soaked noodles and stir to combine all. Stir in the cilantro and enjoy.

Top with sunflower seeds or peanuts if you so desire

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful recipe.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you tried this one! We liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spicy noodles, I think we'll really like this version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These noodles sound delicious, yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love asian meals and especially noodles. The ingredient list sounds like this is a very flavorful dish! I love, love, love cilantro :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice choice a very flavourful one at that

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing. I've made a similar sauce myself, however, yours has more garlic - and I think that makes it better.

    ReplyDelete